The D Certificate is a pre-requisite.
For assessment, D* Certificate candidates will be required to jump a maximum height and width of 45cm.
The successful D* Certificate rider should be able to demonstrate all skills required of the D Certificate, plus the following:
Rider’s Tool Kit
• Understand and recognise the flight response
• Understand and be able to explain: pressure–release, reward training, punishment, habituation.
On the Ground
• Know the following foundation responses: stop, go forward, turn the shoulders left, turn the shoulders right, move the hindquarters left and move the hindquarters right
• Complete a ground work dressage test.
• Understand correct fitting of noseband
• Saddle and bridle a horse with assistance if necessary
• Be developing a correct riding position
• Stop with accuracy
• Demonstrate clear downward transitions
• Be able to explain the concept of self-carriage
• Demonstrate clear upward transitions
• Demonstrate correct turn and also riding on straight lines (between two points)
• Be developing an understanding of rising diagonals
• Demonstrate canter in an enclosed arena
• Ride a simple dressage test
• Know and discuss some mounted games
• Know how to ride on the road / traffic rules (including hand signals)
• Demonstrate crest release
• Walk and trot over poles
• Negotiate small jumps with a maximum height and width of 45cm.
• Understand the Five Freedoms of horse welfare
• Know the following parts of the horse: throat, elbow, pastern, dock, coronet, hips, hock, stifle, ribs, cheek)
• Demonstrate the correct way to brush a tail
• Know some parts of the hoof (wall, sole, frog, heels)
• Discuss correct hoof management practices
• Know feeding and living conditions and the daily horse checklist (water, fences, gates, pasture, rug, horse).
• Know the signs of a healthy horse
• Know some common illnesses or minor injuries (girth gall, cold, colic, laminitis).
• Discuss correct management of tack (including checking stitching and cleaning if wet etc.)
• Identify the following items of tack (bridle, bit, reins, cheek strap, brow band, nose band, throat lash, saddle, girth, stirrups, pommel, leathers, seat, crupper, surcingle, cantle, waist, gullet, stirrup bar, sweat flap).